Microorganisms contribute to the natural biodiversity on earth. Of these, only 1% can be cultured or grown in laboratories. The remaining 99% cannot be studied in this way, but are still required for many of the essential processes on earth. For students of microbiology, and biology in general, this poses a challenge. How can we understand the complex relationships between microbes and their host organisms? This is where the study of Metagenomics or culture-independent, sequencing-based analysis of the microbial community can be used. Metagenomic sequences can be analyzed to learn about microorganisms that live and function together, interacting with the human body and shaping the world we live in. The OmicsLogic Metagenomics program helped Tulsi Murmu from the Institute of Genetic Engineering discover metagenomics and learn how to use bioinformatics to study the world of microorganisms.
Tulsi Murmu is pursuing her Bachelors of Science in Microbiology from the Institute of Genetic Engineering in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Tulsi had always been interested in life science research, but had never explored Bioinformatics. She first heard about this discipline when the team from Pine Biotech organized a workshop at her college. This workshop inspired her to enroll in the Data Science for Biologists Program that Pine Biotech organized in collaboration with the Institute of Genetic Engineering.
During this program, she completed several courses, including Genomics 1, Metagenomics, Introduction to Epigenetics, as well as several others. With over 11,250 points, Tulsi is now number 33 on the leaderboard.
You can check out her profile here: https://edu.t-bio.info/members/tulsimurmu/.
Tulsi says that she is very interested to continue using bioinformatics to study the fascinating world of Microbiology. This is what she had to say about her experience learning metagenomics using the T-BioInfo platform:
“The T-bio.Info Platform helped me learn about bioinformatics and use it to study the unknown world of microorganisms”
After completing the program, Tulsi is continuing to learn about metagenomics and how bioinformatics can be used to study the microbiome. High-throughput technologies have transformed many areas of biology, including microbiology. Metagenomic data can help reveal the complex world of microorganisms inside the human body and the world around us. New computational methods developed to study these kinds of data are essential for microbiologists to master. These help organize, process and extract useful biological information from complex datasets. For a student of microbiology, biology or other life sciences, this huge and heterogenous data may be a lot to take in. Hence, courses in metagenomics like the ones available on the T-BioInfo platform help not only to study about the data but also look at it in a quantitative manner so that they can analyze the data to understand the microbiome.