Neuroscience research methods strongly benefit from usage of biomedical big data. Recent research has focused on employing novel research methods into elucidating the different genetic factors that underlie many neurological diseases. It is estimated that 18.5% of Americans have some type of mental illness every year. Additionally, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s Disease have some of the highest rates of death for elderly individuals. Traditional research methods have failed to properly assess the different components of the disease, treatments and underlying factors. By utilizing data sets, more information can be produced to generate a holistic picture of these diseases.
To promote students and professionals understanding of how big data is utilized in Neuroscience, Pine Biotech as well as our academic collaborators, have prepared curricula and projects that focus on different aspects of diseases in Neuroscience. Students will utilize adapted data sets from published work and will learn hands-on how to assess and analysis data pertaining to Neuroscience. The course will cover these following areas of Neuroscience:
- Molecular indicators of neuroscience via variation in single nucleotide variants (SNV’s) or small indels, as well and CNV’s
- Different regulatory elements involved in the pathogenesis Autism, schizophrenia and Parkinson’s
- Early markers of developmental disorders
- The effects of adverse effects/environmental factors that lead to development of neurological diseases
- How big data is being utilized in the clinical environment to better target these diseases